This course is intended for legal counsel to acquire Revenera certification for Open Source Software (OSS) use within internal applications, for M&A and other due diligence efforts, and in product development and distribution.
Why should you get certified?
According to a Revenera professional services study, more than 50% of all code written today is based on open source. When analyzing the data from hundreds of audit projects, companies initially only disclosed—or were aware of—2% of the actual number of issues eventually discovered. Today more than ever, with the volume of OSS use on the rise and the intense oversight of security and compliance related to the distribution of OSS in applications, companies need legal assistance to guide policy, establish remediation best practices, and avoid violations that potentially lead to costly legal proceedings.
Revenera's Software Composition Analysis (SCA) solutions help companies to analyze their code, identify open source use, recognize issues, and help apply remediation steps to fixing problems. Revenera works with lawyers to go from the unknown to known surrounding OSS.
Who can apply for certification and what will you learn?
Legal certification from Revenera is free to approved members of the legal community, including IP attorneys, M&A lawyers, and in-house legal counsel. Upon completion you will gain practical knowledge and learn more about what every lawyer should know:
· What OSS is and the legal obligations to support proper use and dissemination of products containing OSS components
· The importance of following legal and compliance regulations pertaining to OSS licensing
· Vulnerabilities that may be present and the basics of vulnerability remediation
· What happens during an M&A engagement, the types of audits Revenera supports, and the role of legal counsel
· Audit report and findings
· A Revenera product overview and how Revenera SCA analyzes code
To obtain certification, you are required to complete a short quiz following the course and submit results for validation.
For attendees from legal firms, you have the opportunity to have your name and firm added to our list of Revenera certified legal professionals on our website.
This course is provided free of charge to applicants approved to complete the course.